Consumers have learned in recent months that some heating systems can be potentially hazardous. In September of last year, Waterlogic, in conjunction with the CPSC, issued a recall of 48,000 water cooling and heating systems due to the possibility of the hot water tank malfunctioning and overheating. For consumers who owned the product, this would have been a fire hazard. Now, another company that manufactures water heating systems is issuing a recall. U.S. Boiler is currently recalling approximately 26,000 hot water boilers in the United States due to the possibility of the boiler emitting excessive carbon monoxide.
According to the CPSC, “the air pressure switch can fail to shut down the burners when there is a blockage in the vent system, allowing the boiler to emit excessive amounts of carbon monoxide and posing a CO poisoning hazard to the consumer.” The company states that no injuries or incidents related to the defect have been reported. The defect was detected during a quality check conducted by U.S. Boiler Company, the company states in a letter to owners of the affected boilers.
The recall affects 40-inch tall U.S. Boiler ESC, PVG and SCG hot water boilers that are light-blue with black trim. The boilers use “natural gas or liquid petroleum to heat water for residential space heating,” according to the CPSC. The boilers included in the recall were manufactured between December 2005 and February 2013. The CPSC’s press release also includes all of the affected model numbers and serial numbers. Select plumbing and heating wholesale distributors sold the recalled boilers for between $1,700 and $4,900.
U.S. Boiler Company will provide consumers with a free in-home safety inspection and repair. Consumers who own the product are instructed to contact the installer or distributor where they purchased the recalled boilers to schedule their in-home inspections. In the meantime, U.S. Boiler Company recommends consumers who choose to continue using the recalled boilers to have fully functioning carbon monoxide alarms near sleeping spaces.