High levels of carbon monoxide (CO) in an enclosed space poses a serious danger to those breathing the air in that space. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the effect of carbon monoxide poisoning on your body is due to your vital organs not receiving enough oxygen, including the brain and heart. As a result, permanent damage to these organs and other tissues is possible.
Even for those who are healthy, carbon monoxide exposure can present a dangerous and potentially deadly situation. If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries because of CO exposure, a member of the Newsome Melton law firm will review your case for free today. Call us now at (888) 808-5977.
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs because of the way the body handles this gas. When you breathe in, your red blood cells typically collect oxygen molecules and carry them via the bloodstream to your brain, vital organs, and other tissues.
When you breathe in air filled with toxic carbon monoxide, though, your red blood cells misbehave. They prefer the CO molecules to oxygen and default to them instead. This means less oxygen in your bloodstream and vital organs starving for oxygen.
Without the necessary oxygen supply, damage begins to occur in the brain, heart, and other body systems. Symptoms worsen, and the damage may become permanent. Unconsciousness and death are likely without intervention and treatment.
In some cases, exposure to carbon monoxide can have an increased or more serious effect. This may occur in:
Carbon monoxide is tasteless, odorless, and colorless, making it extremely dangerous. Without a CO detector or recognizing a hazard, it is almost impossible to know if there are high levels of the toxic gas in the air you breathe. Yet breathing in too much can cause you to suffer lasting injuries and even lead to death.
Any type of fuel-burning appliances, product, or engine can produce carbon monoxide. It is important to never use them in an enclosed space without proper venting or following all safety recommendations. Some common causes of CO exposure include:
The symptoms and warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:
In most cases, the effects of CO exposure are reversible when exposure levels are relatively low, and the person receives oxygen treatment quickly. However, lasting effects are possible and include:
If you suffered ill effects as a result of the effect of carbon monoxide poisoning on your body, or if a member of your family passed away, you may be able to hold a property owner or occupier or a product manufacturer liable. We can review your case and explain your legal options.
The carbon monoxide poisoning team from Newsome Melton is offering free case reviews for the victims of carbon monoxide exposure related to vehicle exhaust, hotel or other facility exposure, or defective products. Call us today at (888) 808-5977 to learn if you may qualify to take legal action.