Medical malpractice is defined as a negligent act or omission by a medical professional that causes harm to a patient.
When you see a doctor or other medical professional for an injury or illness, you expect a certain standard of care. Doctors, nurses, dentists, mental health providers, therapists, and other medical professionals who make errors or fail to provide care that meets an acceptable standard may be guilty of medical malpractice
In addition to the medical professional, the hospital may be named in the suit if the medical malpractice was a result of institutional conditions, lack of training, or poor hiring processes. State and federal agencies that operate hospitals may also be liable.
Causes of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice can result in a worsening of the condition being treated, additional injury or illness, and even death. Common causes of medical malpractice include the following:
• Improper or inadequate treatment
• Misuse of medications
• Unsanitary or unclean conditions
• Inadequate training of hospital staff
• Human error
• Failure to diagnose (strokes, cancer, etc.)
If you are injured or become ill as the result of medical negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation. Doctors, other medical professionals, and hospital facilities carry insurance for this very reason. However, the companies that insure against medical professionals and hospitals work extremely hard to defend the cases against the medical professionals and hospitals they insure. To this end, it’s very important that those pursuing a medical malpractice suit get the legal advice of an attorney who has significant experience in this area.
If you suspect that you or a loved on is the victim of medical malpractice, contact Newsome Law Firm and fill out a case evaluation form today. Our experienced team of attorneys can give you the legal guidance you need, and can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Recent Frequently Asked Questions:
- What Allegations Are There Against the Automakers and Takata?
- What Types of Injuries Are Caused by Takata Airbags?
- What Allegations Have Been Filed Against The Takata Corporation And The Automobile Manufacturers?
- What Should You Know About Defective Airbags?
- What Are The Most Common Types Of False Claims Act Cases?