Nicholas Gurney has made it his mission to represent real people in their fight against powerful corporations and massive insurance companies. In his career, Nicholas has secured favorable jury verdicts in both civil and criminal trials, including jury verdicts of more than $1 million in both Collier and Palm Beach Counties. His passion for justice extends outside the office where Nicholas serves as an Adjunct Professor of Legal Studies, teaching the next generation of attorneys at the University of Central Florida’s new downtown campus.
Nicholas graduated with honors from the University of Central Florida, working locally and learning from some of the most talented trial lawyers around. Nicholas went on to receive his Juris Doctorate, Cum Laude from the University of Florida. There, he earned the highest grade in six different courses and was inducted into both the National Order of Barristers and Florida Blue Key Honor Society. Nicholas was honored to receive the 2016 Helen G. Blechman Endowed Pro Bono Award in recognition of his donation of more free legal services than any other graduate. Nicholas holds degree certificates in Community Service, Pro Bono Advocacy, and Criminal Justice.
In 2016, Nicholas became one of the youngest trial lawyers ever to graduate from Gerry Spence’s famed Trial Lawyers College in Dubois, Wyoming. He has been recognized as a Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters (2020), Top 40 Under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers-Civil Plaintiff (2018-2020), Top 30 Under 30 by the University of Central Florida Alumni Association (2017). Nicholas actively supports and coaches the UCF Trial Team, of which he is a distinguished alumnus and past National Tournament qualifier and competitor. Outside the office, Nicholas enjoys amateur woodworking and machining, trips to the dog park with his Klee Kai, Nate, and spending time with his niece and nephew, both of whom are wise beyond their years.
- The Florida Bar
- The United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- The United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Adjunct Professor, UCF Department of Legal Studies
- Speaker, 360 Advocacy Presents: Trucking Litigation
- Speaker, 360 Advocacy Presents: GenExcellence
- Panelist, UCF Alumni Legal Practitioners Panel
- Assistant Coach, UCF Mock Trial Team
- Author, Practitioner Pointer: Products Liability (October 2019)
Awards and Involvement
- Thompson Reuters, Super Lawyers (2020)
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40 (2018-2020)
- University of Central Florida Alumni, Top 30 Under 30
- Helen Gibel Blechman Endowed Pro Bono Award, Recipient
- Florida Blue Key Honor Society, Member
- National Order of Barristers, Member
- Trial Lawyer’s College, Graduate