The symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can vary widely depending on the level of exposure, including the concentration of CO in the air, the length of time exposed to CO, and other factors. According to the Cleveland Clinic’s article on carbon monoxide poisoning, symptoms often begin with a mild headache and can progress to confusion, loss of consciousness, and death as the body’s tissues suffer damage due to lack of oxygen.
If you suffered serious injuries related to CO exposure or a loved one passed away as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, you may be eligible to take legal action and pursue compensation to cover medical treatment and other damages. Reach out to a carbon monoxide poisoning lawyer from Newsome Melton today by calling (888) 808-5977. We offer free case reviews for victims of CO poisoning.
When a person first begins breathing in toxic levels of carbon monoxide, or if there is only a small amount polluting the air in an enclosed space, the symptoms are generally benign. Many people believe they have a cold or general malaise, or some report having relatively minor flu-like symptoms.
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
As time passes or the air becomes more toxic, less oxygen reaches the brain and other organs. This causes symptoms to increase dramatically. The headache and nausea become worse, and new symptoms appear. Mayo Clinic’s list of symptoms and causes reports that these symptoms may include:
If the person does not get emergency medical care at this point and exposure continues, it is likely they will eventually fall unconscious. Following unconsciousness, death often occurs because of the loss of oxygen to the brain, heart, and other vital organs.
One reason why it is important to have working carbon monoxide detectors in every home and other building is because it is extremely difficult to identify the early warning signs of CO poisoning. The gas is invisible and does not have a taste or smell.
Most people do not automatically consider the possibility of carbon monoxide exposure when they have a dull headache or just generally feel “under the weather.” By the time symptoms escalate and it becomes apparent there is a problem, confusion and disorientation make it difficult to think clearly.
When the victim is asleep, drunk, or unconscious, survival is often only possible because someone from outside the building intervenes and calls for emergency medical assistance.
Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous gas because of its ability to cause severe and permanent injuries and even death in those who breathe in too much of it. Still, we surround ourselves with items that produce gas every day. Any fuel-burning appliance or item has the potential to cause CO poisoning.
Carbon monoxide exposure may occur because of:
When any of these sources of CO are in an enclosed area, too much of the gas can build up. If you breathe this air, your vital organs will not get the oxygen they need to continue to function properly. This can cause neurological damage, heart problems, unconsciousness, and even death.
Keyless ignition cars pose a very specific danger because they can remain on even when the key fob has been removed, spewing odorless and tasteless CO gas into the house. There are legal cases already underway against manufacturers of vehicles with keyless ignition and push-button start mechanisms related to CO poisoning cases.
If you required hospitalization following carbon monoxide exposure and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, or if you lost a loved one because of CO poisoning, you may be able to pursue a civil suit and hold the property owner or manufacturing company liable for your medical care, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Call Newsome Melton today at (888) 808-5977 for your complimentary consultation.