Maegen Peek Luka practices law because she is driven by a desire for justice. When lives are torn apart, Ms. Luka takes great pride in compassionately helping families and individuals try to put the pieces back together while seeking legal redress against companies who put financial gain over the safety or security of human lives. Ms. Luka is unafraid to tackle large, complex cases and legal issues. She applies her focus and determination to every case on which she works.
Ms. Luka performed her undergraduate studies at the University of Florida, where she earned a 4.0 grade point average while majoring in English and minoring in Mass Communications. She then attended the University of Florida College of Law on full scholarship where she graduated second in her class. While in law school, Ms. Luka was Symposium Editor for the Florida Law Review and served as a research assistant to two professors. For her academic accomplishments, she was awarded membership into the Order of the Coif and won book awards in civil procedure, criminal law, negotiations, mediation law, property law, and trial practice. After law school, Ms. Luka clerked for the Honorable Emmett R. Cox on the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
After her clerkship, Ms. Luka joined private practice at a nationwide firm, where her practice focused on suing insurance companies that would not pay on high-end disability insurance policies. After several years of being a litigator, Ms. Luka joined an appellate firm where she both handled appeals and supported trial lawyers in the courtroom with her appellate expertise. Ms. Luka now brings both skill sets, that of a litigator and an appellate lawyer, to her practice in representing the injured.
In 2019, Ms. Luka was awarded the “Defender of the Realm” award by the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association for her tireless appellate efforts to protect the recoveries Medicaid recipients receive in their personal injury lawsuits or settlements.
In her free time, Ms. Luka is an active member of her church and volunteers as a Troop Leader for her daughters’ Girl Scout troops. As a woman born and raised in Florida, she enjoys all the state has to offer, from taking her daughters to theme parks to enjoying our many beaches. She also enjoys travel, watching movies, and reading.
Certifications and Bar Admissions
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
- United States District Court, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- All Florida Courts
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice
- Appellate Practice Section of The Florida Bar
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals Historical Society
- Federal Bar Association
- Florida Justice Association – Ms. Luka is an EAGLE member of the Florida Justice Association. She currently serves as Chair-Elect of the Appellate Practice Section and also sits on the Women's Caucus Board of Directors.
- Florida Supreme Court Historical Society
- Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers
- Hillsborough County Bar Association – Appellate Practice Section
- Second District Court of Appeal Historical Society.
Publications and Lectures
- "How to Win Over Law Clerks and Influence Judges: Tips and Tricks for Getting the Most Out of Your Written Product," Florida Justice Association’s Annual Convention, 6/12/2019
- "Boarding Full Medicals at Trial: Untangling the Knots in the Collateral Source Case Law so You Have What You Need to Defeat that Dreaded Motion in Limine," Florida Justice Association Collateral Sources Webinar, 4/26/2019
- "Changing Trends in PFS Law-What you need to know about what has (and has not!) changed," Florida Justice Association Proposals for Settlement Webinar, 3/29/2019
- "Letting the Tail Wag the Dog," Florida Justice Association Proposals for Settlement Webinar, 3/2/2018
- "PFSs - The Winds of Change Are a Blowin'; This Is What You Need to Know Now," Journal (Florida Justice Association) #607, March/April 2019
- "You won a verdict! Congrats! But you ain’t done yet…," Journal (Florida Justice Association) #602, May/June 2018
- "Practical Pointers for Making Sure Your Proposal for Settlement is Enforceable," Journal (Florida Justice Association) #593, November/December 2016
Recent Frequently Asked Questions:
- What Are You Compensated For In A Product Liability Lawsuit?
- What Do You Need To Know About Takata Airbag Recalls & The NHSTA?
- Do Subarus Have Takata Airbags?
- Why Are States With High Humidity Prioritized In The Takata Airbag Recall?
- How Does the Reward System Work For Whistleblowers Under the False Claims Act?